This Weeks Topic:
September 21: Characters You WOULDN’T Want to Trade Places With
–We always talk about how cool it would be to be a character in our favorite books, but who would you not want to trade places with?
This week’s topic is a bit tough for me , Because although I can easily choose 5 characters I won’t want to be , it’d be hard to explain my reasons for that without going into spoilers . That said here’s me trying still and hopefully succeeding .
My T5W For This Week :
- Bartimeus from the Bartimeus Trilogy by Johnathan Stroud: The Bartimeus Trilogy is Dark YA fantasy book written by Johnathan Stroud , Bartimeus the main protagonist (of sort) of the series is a Witty and sarcastic Djinni . In Stroud’s world Djinn are living in a alternate world which is used by wizards from our world to draw these Djinn and other demons and forcing them to work for them. The problem is that every time a Djinn or other Demon is in our world he/she suffers with diminishing power with each passing day , and are basically suffering from Pain . Bartimeus in particular is forced to go on some really fatal missions for his obnoxious master and fighting with creatures that are way more powerful than he is and getting trapped in the human world for very long times , years in fact .
- Roland from The Dark Tower Books by Stephen King: Stephen King’s Dark Tower Series is widely considered one of the best Fantasy books of all time and granted I’ve only read 2 books in the series so far at the time of writing this blog post I have a distinct dislike for Roland , the main protagonist of the series. Roland is very dedicated in his pursuit for the Dark Tower which has led him to sacrifice even a small child and he still doesn’t realize what he actually expects from the Tower . Roland by all consideration isn’t selfish but he comes very close to being one . In Roland’s world Roland is the very last of his kind but his portrayal in the book makes me wish that his kind didn’t exist at all let alone be one .
- Any one from the series A Song of Ice & Fire by George R R Martin: GRRM has made one of the most talked about series in fantasy or any other genre in recent times and his characters often live in a very brutal and dark world and these characters themselves are grey , a lot of them a pretty darker shade of grey. With Rapes , Murders, Beheading , Wars , Dragons burning people , tortures , Politically motivated back-stabbing etc etc occuring with really high frequency in the world of A Song of Ice and fire I’d never want to be one of the character in the book (Even as a peasant being mentioned on a passing note in the book) . The World of ASOIAF is simply cruel and the characters mean ,I could literally bet on me not surviving that world for more than a week .
- Thomas Raith from the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher: Thomas Raith is a very fascinating and entertaining characters from Dresden Files and I really like him as a character but the bottomline is Thomas is one of the most sad characters in the series. Without going into spoilers, Thomas is unfortunate enough to be considered a family disgrace , Degraded by his sister , Hated by the good guys , unable to physically touch the love of his life , and Can’t openly reveal the existence of his brother . Sure Thomas is witty , hilarious and one of the strongest characters in the whole series but he is one of the saddest when it comes to relationship and I’d never want to be him.
- Superior Glokta from the First Law Trilogy by Joe Abercombie: Superior Sand Dan Glokta is my favorite character of all time , in fact if there was a play and i was supposed to pick a role I’d pick Glokta , but if it’s the real life I’d never want even my enemies to have such fate as his . Glokta was a decorated warrior who was captured and tortured by his enemy and yet he never caved , but instead of being regarded as a great war hero in his country on his return ,instead Glokta is discarded as a nobody and the aftermath of the torture leave him physically disfigured and damaged , making even his daily physical activities like stepping up a stair or waking up in the morning a big mission for him .To Add more misery he actually follows all this hardship by becoming the most hated and feared man of the world as he’s the legal torturer of the country who will bend every rule to do as he please and get what he want .
[all book cover images are click-able and will take the readers to the Goodreads page of the respective books ]
So that’s my T5W for this week ,
share your T5W in the comments section below
or simply comment